Cheesecakes are one of those desserts that you either love or, well, really really love! (Surely no one hates Cheesecake?!)
For us, we are squarely in the love camp. So when we came across Project Vegan Baking’s vegan lemon cheesecake recipe, we had to give it a whirl.
It was SO EASY we even involved the kids (just keep them away from the saucepan step) and you are good to go, albeit messily. After a few (probably a few too many, if we’re being honest – it’s just that tasty) trial runs we decided to scale the recipe down and thought to make it easier to eat in bed – because that is what every mum wants we popped in a glass.
- Woolworths ‘Free From Gluten’ Scotch Finger Biscuits crushed up and placed at the bottom of the glass
- Fresh blueberries (or in a pinch frozen are OK too)
Filling Mix (courtesy of projectveganbaking.com):
- 400g Vegan cream cheese
- 250g Cashews
- 80ml lemon juice
- 200g coconut cream
- 120g icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean past
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- Pinch of salt
- Place a handful of scotch finger biscuits in a food processor and blitz until they are the desired consistency
- Place in the bottom of a glass (recommend 1/3rd up the glass)
- Bring half a saucepan of water to a boil and boil the cashews for 30 minutes to soften them (you can also soak them in hot water overnight). Discard the soaking water, dry them with a tea towel and place them into the food processor with the lemon juice. Blitz until smooth.
- Warm up the vegan cream cheese and coconut cream in the microwave for 30 seconds so that it will be easier to blend (if it’s coconut base it’ll soften easily, if it’s tofu-based it may only get a little soft).
- Add both to the food processor with the icing sugar, vanilla paste, lemon extract and salt then blitz again until smooth. It will be very thick so you may have to scrape down the sides to get it to blend completely smooth.
- Pour this filling into the cake tin in on top of the frozen crust and leave it in the fridge to set for at least 3 hours.
- Top with a little more biscuit pieces and decorate with fresh blueberries.
See our inspiration here https://projectveganbaking.com/vegan-no-bake-lemon-cheesecake/#lt-recipe
And, of course, if you would prefer to leave the cooking for someone else this Mother's Day, go straight to the source and treat yourself to our...